RSS

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Beginning of My Journey to Single Motherhood

In April 2010, I visited my OB/GYN for the third time in three months!!! As the nurse took my blood pressure, I exclaimed, “This is the third time I’ve been here in three months with the same issue. I’m So Over It. You guys have to do something!!!”

Having heard my conversation with the nurse, the doctor lead me into his office and examined me. Then, he uttered the words that began my journey to motherhood.  ”How attached are you to your uterus,”  he asked. Stunned, I stared at him in disbelief and resisted the urge to fire back, “How attached are you to your penis?”

The doctor went on to explain that my problems were being caused by fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus), which had grown back after having the buggers removed eight years ago. He wanted to remove my uterus, which would get rid of the fibroids and thus, the problem.


“But, I haven’t had a baby yet,” I said, my voice rife with emotion. As the doctor glanced at my birth date on my chart, he asked what I’m waiting for because I’ll be forty the following month. Already, I’m nearing the age where getting pregnant is difficult and the fibroids are likely to cause even more complications with trying to get pregnant. In his estimation, if I wanted children, I needed to act now.

I left his office in tears. My fibroids were back. They were causing problems with my body and possibly with getting pregnant. Period. Motherhood? Would I make a good mother? Could I do it alone? I’d just ended a relationship. Maybe I should try to make things work with him. Should I or shouldn’t I? Who’s going to be there to help me? How will I do this? So, many questions.

I called my best friend in tears. We discussed my visit with the doctor. I calmed down. I prayed and consulted God. About a week later, the decision was made: I would have a baby. Thus my journey began.


More to follow next time!!

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment