RSS

Monday, April 11, 2011

It's All In The Name

Once I made the decision to have a baby, the idea of carrying a little one inside me took hold and captured me firmly in its grasp. It seemed as if I could think of nothing else. I wanted a baby. I wanted the joy of bringing another human being into the world. I wanted to pour love into the life of a child I had created. I wanted the pride of nurturing a child who will make his/her positive, soul-stirring mark on the world.  In essence, I wanted to be a mother. 

But, as I scoured the internet and literature on pregnancy and becoming a mother, I found tons of statistics that say my time had passed, that my chances of conceiving were slim, that I really shouldn't bank on getting pregnant by intrauterine insemination. This material said that the time to have gotten pregnant was before I hit the age of 35, but most definitely before I was 40. This material would have dashed the hopes of many. But the authors of this material didn't know me, my circumstances or my belief system.

You see, I am a Christian and I believe my chances of getting pregnant are dependent on my calling out a particular name--and that name is Jesus Christ. I put my faith and trust in Him. Without Him, I would have no hope, no real belief that I can do this--travel this long, hard road to motherhood. But with Him, I can do all things because He strengthens me. 

As I considered the name of Jesus Christ, it hit me how powerful a name could be. In fact, research has shown that names can affect a person's personality and their lot in life. See Behind the Name by H. Edward Deluzain. His article can be found at http://www.behindthename.com/articles/2.php. In looking at the importance of names, it became obvious that I must give my child a name that is fraught with meaning, a name that speaks life. In the blink of an eye, the name Jadon popped into my mind and rolled off my tongue with such remarkable ease. I don't know where I heard it or why I thought of it. Looking it up, I found Jadon is a Hebrew name which means God Has Heard. How fitting!! I read all the statistics, talked to the doctors. I knew how difficult getting pregnant would be for me. But, I also knew that once I had my baby it would be because "God Had Heard" me. In just a few seconds, my baby's first name was set in stone. 

The middle name was not so easy. But, after much thought,  I decided I wanted a middle name that means prayer. I found names that fit perfectly-thanks to websites dedicated to providing the meanings of baby names. If I have a boy, the middle name will be Declan (prayer). If I have a girl, the middle name will be Sinclaire (woman of prayer).

Jadon Declan (boy) or Jaiden Sinclaire (girl) -- the perfect name(s) for my child!!!  I want my baby to know God heard me and gave me a beautiful child. I also want my child to be someone who prays. In the end, I want my child to realize the essence of who they are is all in their name. 


0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment